2009年6月8日月曜日

Names and Addressese

1. Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy,sad, etc?

→I think these are almost the same things but facial expressions are a little difference. So, it defferent way to a reaction each countries.

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. Then, write the English franslation.

→楽しい, 嬉しい happy, enjoyable, delightful
 なぜ   why
 酷い cruel
 悲しい sad, miserable
 ビックリ! be surprised,
 あきれる    be amazed
悔しい      regrettable
腹立たしい    vexing
 心配する     worry
退屈する     boring
3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannnot be translated into English?

→Yes, there are. I think that the following cannot be translated into English.
いってきます。いってらっしゃい。ただいま~。 おかえり。

9 件のコメント:

  1. Hi, chelsea♪”
    I agree with your opinion.
    Facial expressions are a little difference, but it is very convinient way to express my feeling. Because, I can express without language.
    (^o^))☆

    返信削除
  2. I storngly agree with you.
    Your examples, such as Japanese greeting is really hard to translate.
    In addition, Itadakimasu is also difficult to translate.

    返信削除
  3. Hello:)

    I agree with you.
    I think that facial expressions are a little difference, too.

    In an electronic dictionary, ただいま is "I'm back".
    But when I went to England, people didn't use this words.
    My host family said only "Hi".

    返信削除
  4. Hi☆
    I agree with you 3.
    In england, I did not know how to say them to my host family, and I also Think "いただきます" is difficult to say in English.

    返信削除
  5. Hello!
    I agree with you.
    It is difficult to translate to English.
    Surely, ”嬉しい" can translate to some English words.

    返信削除
  6. hi chelsea :0]
    thanks for your comment on my blog!
    i don't agree your reply cause i am sure たいぎい is not completely equal to 面倒くさい.
    it contains other meanings like うざい or something like that.

    and i think 退屈する is bored, not boreing.. right?

    返信削除
  7. Hello, chelsea :) Yes, the way of facial expression is different, so we should undersand and think in cross-cultural mind. However, isn`t it wonderful that everybody could feel the same thing? :)

    返信削除
  8. hi chelsea!
    I agree with you.
    there are many greeting words in Japan like おかえり、ただいま and いってきます and so on. but in English, people say just "hi" or "good bye", so it's very interesting differece between Japanese and English.

    返信削除
  9. Hi!
    Your blog made me admirable. Surely,行ってきます is difficult to translate.
    English is interesting. I'm full of what I don't know.

    返信削除